- Why is there a 2000 runner limit?
- When do I need to enter by to be guaranteed an entry?
- How will I know if my entry has been accepted?
- What happens if I lose my entry confirmation email?
- What do I do if information on my entry is wrong?
- How will I know if the race is full?
- Can I mail or fax in my entry?
- Is entering online secure?
- What if I don’t have a credit card, or access to the Internet?
- Is there a wait list once the race is full?
- Is there day of race registration?
- Can I exchange my shirt for a different size?
- I entered but can no longer run in your race. Can I get a refund?
- I entered but can no longer run in your race. Can someone run in my place?
- Why is there a 3 hour time limit?
- Is there an early start for walkers?
- I expect to take more than 3 hours to finish. Can I still enter the “First Half”?
- I plan to power walk. Can I still enter the “First Half”?
- Can you recommend somewhere to stay, close to the Roundhouse Community Centre?
- What is a Turkey or Bandit?
Race Kit Pickup
- When do I receive my race number and shirt?
- Can someone else pickup my race kit for me?
- Can I pickup race kits for a group of people?
- Can I pickup my race kit on race morning?
- What happens if I forget or lose my race number or timing chip before race day?
- Can I take transit to your race?
- Where can I park on race day?
- Is bag check secure?
- Where are the washrooms on race day?
- Where does the race start relative to the Roundhouse Community Centre?
- Where should I position myself at the start?
- Where does the race finish relative to the Roundhouse Community Centre?
- What happens once I cross the finish line?
- If I need medical treatment, where will I find it?
- When and where will results be posted?
- If I’m not present for the presentations will I still receive my award?
- What happens if there is adverse weather on race morning?
Why is there a 2000 runner limit?
Principally the limit is set for safety reasons. Much of the race is on the seawall, which is also open to the public. Consequently the City and Parks Board have set a limit of 2000 runners.
Increasing the number of runners would necessitate significant changes to the route, the venue and the organization. These are things that we feel would change both the character and the quality of the event.
When do I need to enter by to be guaranteed an entry?
The sooner the better. Once the 2000 runner limit is reached, no further entries will be accepted. NO EXCEPTIONS.
How will I know if my entry has been accepted?
What happens if I lose my entry confirmation email?
Please email us at email@example.com, before February 3, 2017. Provide your first and last name and your postal code, and we will forward a copy of your confirmation to the email address that you used when you registered online.
What do I do if information on my entry is wrong?
Any problems, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the correct information.
How will I know if the race is full?
Can I mail-in, fax or drop off my entry in person?
Is entering online secure?
Yes. Neither Pacific Road Runners nor Karelo E-Services Inc has access to or stores your credit card information. The credit card transaction is encrypted and securely processed by a regular banking service. Your credit card statement will show as a purchase from Karelo.com, Tel. (604) 608-2774, Vancouver.
What if I don’t have a credit card, or access to the Internet?
Is there a wait list once the race is full?
Is there day of race registration?
Can I exchange my shirt for a different size?
Only if you email us before (2018 date to be determined) and only if your requested size is available. Email us at email@example.com, including your first name, last name and confirmation number. Note that we will do our best to accommodate your request but shirt sizes are not guaranteed.
I entered but can no longer run in your race. Can I get a refund?
No. Race entry fees are non-refundable.
You can still collect your race shirt, at regular packet pickup. If you do not pick up your shirt, or arrange for a friend to pick it up for you, then your shirt will be resold with proceeds going to Variety – The Children’s Charity.
I entered but can no longer run in your race. Can someone run in my place?
Yes. Visit our Transfers page for details on how to transfer an entry. It is important that the entry be transferred officially so that our database is updated with the new runner’s information.
A person running in your place with a different gender or a different age group can lead to errors in the results, and deny legitimate winners of their prizes. Also, in the event of an accident or medical condition, wrong information may have serious consequences.
Why is there a 3 hour time limit?
Primarily the “First Half” is a run, not a recreational walk, and 3 hours is a reasonable time in which we can expect runners to finish the race.
Is there an early start for walkers?
I expect to take more than 3 hours to finish. Can I still enter the “First Half”?
I plan to power walk. Can I still enter the “First Half”?
Can you recommend somewhere to stay, close to the Roundhouse Community Centre?
Yes, we have a selection of hotel sponsors, offering rooms at a discounted rate, and all within walking distance of the start/finish. Details will be posted on our Accommodation Page as soon as they are confirmed.
What is a Turkey or Bandit?
People who run the race without a race number and without paying the entry fee are known as Turkeys! Please don’t do this, whether the race is full or not. It jeopardizes our permit with the City of Vancouver, jeopardizes smooth results for all other runners, and contributes nothing to Variety – The Children’s Charity. Enjoy the race as a spectator and enter early next year.
When do I receive my race number and shirt?
You must pickup your race kit (bib number and timing chip) and shirt in person.
Please see the Race Kit Pickup Information on our Race Information page.
Can someone else pick up my race kit for me?
Yes. However, they must bring a copy of your entry confirmation email with them, and they will be asked to sign and leave their name and phone number. Once a race number and shirt is picked up it is up to you to get it from your friend.
Can I pickup race kits for a group of people?
Yes. From (2018 dates to be determined), you can register your group online. This ensures your group will be pre-packaged and ready for you when you arrive at Race Kit Pick Up, on Friday or Saturday only. Your group must be a minimum of 6 entries, to a maximum of 30. Please plan your group carefully, before registering.
Please note that if your entry is part of a group pick up, it is not eligible for transfer until after the entire group has been picked up.
Once the group has been created, the pick-up-person cannot be changed. Once registered, all members of the group will receive a confirmation email.
For smaller groups, each race kit must be picked up individually. Bring a copy of each entry confirmation email with you.
Can I pickup my race kit on race morning?
Yes, but if possible please pick it up on Friday or Saturday. On race morning race kit pickup is open from 6:30 to 8:00am only, and you must pickup your kit in person. No group pickups on race morning.
What happens if I forget or lose my race number or timing chip before race day?
Please come to the Coordinator Desk at registration on the morning of the race and a new one will be issued. You will need to provide ID and your previous number will be cancelled from the results. There is a $5.00 charge for a new bib/chip.
Can I take transit to your race?
Check with TransLink for transit schedules. The Canada Line Yaletown-Roundhouse Station is ideally located across Pacific Blvd from the Community Centre.
Where can I park on race day?
There are several above and below ground pay parking lots in the immediate area. There is limited on street parking. Please note there will be parking restrictions in effect on the following streets:
- Pacific Blvd south side, eastbound lanes from Granville St to Abbott St.
- Drake St, south of Pacific Blvd.
- Granville St from Pacific Blvd to Beach Avenue.
- Beach Ave south side from Granville St to the Aquatic Centre.
Is bag check secure?
Where are the washrooms on race day?
Washrooms will be clearly signed. They are available inside the Roundhouse Community Centre and there will be additional Port-a-Potties outside on Pacific Blvd @ Drake Street, giving easy access to the start line. Line up early, as there is always a rush just before start time.
Where does the race start relative to the Roundhouse Community Centre?
Where should I position myself at the start?
Please line up at the start relative to where you think you might finish, to avoid obstructing others. Our start line is 3 traffic lanes wide, so even those starting at the back cross the start line quickly and can run unimpeded.
- If you expect to finish in under 1:30, you should be in the first few rows.
- If you expect to finish between 1:30 and 1:45, you should be 10 – 20 metres from the start line.
- If you expect to finish between 1:45 and 2:00, you should be 30 – 40 metres from the start line.
- If you expect to finish between 2:00 and 2:15, you should be 50 – 60 metres from the start line.
- If you expect to finish between 2:15 and 3:00, you should be towards the back.
Where does the race finish relative to the Roundhouse Community Centre?
What happens once I cross the finish line?
Please listen to the instructions of the volunteers. Your finishing time will be recorded automatically as you pass under the finish banner.
Once you cross the finish line, please keep moving. Do not stop immediately as it will prevent others from finishing behind you. Proceed through the finish corral and we will present you with your finisher’s medal.
If I need medical treatment, where will I find it?
St. John Ambulance will be stationed close to the finish, and will also have bicycle patrols on the course. In the event of an emergency, please contact the nearest volunteer who will direct you to a volunteer captain with a cell phone.
When and where will results be posted?
If I’m not present for the presentations will I still receive my award?
The top three finishers in each 5-year age category win unique race medals and Mizuno merchandise. We would really like you to be there so that we can recognize your achievement, but if you have to leave right away we will contact you later to make alternate arrangements.
What happens if there is adverse weather on race morning?
The race runs in all weather unless the conditions are too dangerous to proceed. If in doubt, check this website or our information line (604-515-2488) on race morning – it will tell you if there are any changes of plans. We have not had to cancel yet 😉
I want to volunteer my time to help with the event. What can I do?
We can always use more help at the start or finish, on course, at packet pickup or inside the Roundhouse. We cannot promise you a particular job, but your help will be greatly appreciated. Please complete the volunteer form, and our volunteer coordinators will get back to you.
Where do the profits from the event go and how is it spent?
Proceeds of the race go to Variety – The Children’s Charity. These are direct profits from the event (effectively a portion of your entry fee), not additional pledges collected by you.
The donation for the 2017 season was $50,000. This money helps children in need in the local community.
Can I make an additional donation to Variety – The Children’s Charity?
Your entry to the First Half Half Marathon is already helping Variety – The Children’s Charity. If you would like to make an additional donation, you can do so online at the Variety website.
Still not answered your questions?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org