Pacific Road Runners (PRR) is a recreational running club, with members interested in leading a fit and active lifestyle combined with social events. We compete, but we don’t enter expecting to win. We’re more interested in achieving personal goals and having fun doing it. We provide a safe, supportive group with which to train. Our runners cover a variety of pace groups with 10k race times ranging between approximately 37-62 minutes.
We meet at 5:55pm on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, year round, sun, rain or snow at the False Creek Community Centre on Granville Island in Vancouver. The community centre has changing rooms with lockers, showers and saunas. There is some free parking close to the community centre. Tuesday is the best evening for newcomers to join us.
We enjoy running for fitness and for the social aspect. Our club organizes many social activities throughout the year.
Here are some of PRR’s social events:
- An organized club dinner on the second Tuesday of most months (after our run, of course)
- Grouse Grind climb and social in June
- July picnic/barbecue at Spanish Banks Beach
- An awesome Christmas party
- Trivia nights at Manchester Pub
- Various other activities throughout the course of each year.
We participate in a wide variety of races, including team and relay events, mostly locally but also in other areas.
Here are a few of our favourite races:
- Birch Bay Road Race (just across the border) in late March
- Longest Day 5k/10k (UBC) in mid-June
- Miracle Mile race and potluck picnic (Balaclava Park) in early August
- Gunner Shaw Memorial cross-country race (Jericho Park) in early December
- Team relays such as the Whistler 50, Ragnar Relay (Washington), Hood to Coast (Oregon)
PRR members have travelled to many marathons: Boston, Portland, Seattle, Victoria, Chicago, New York, London, Berlin and others… even the wine-connoisseurs’ Marathon du Médoc in France!
We also have a contingent of trail enthusiasts who often meet for Sunday morning runs (the North Shore mountains being a favourite area) and participate in trail races in B.C. and the western States.
To really find out what we’re about, come join us on a Tuesday evening for a good run! We look forward to meeting you.